Many households now have an air fryer, but if you are wanting to stay conscious about the materials you cook with, you might be wondering if the Philips air fryer has Teflon?
The Philips air fryer does contain Teflon, but can actually still be considered nontoxic. This is because Teflon took PFOA, the compound that has been found to be harmful in lab studies, out of their material in 2013, so it is no longer considered toxic.
Teflon received backlash for their ingredient PFOA, or Perfluorooctanoic acid. This is why Teflon was essentially blacklisted before changing their ingredients to safer items. Keep reading to find out more about your Philips air fryer.
What Is Teflon In Philips Air Fryer Used For?
Teflon is a polymer, which is a synthetic substance made up of large molecules, called macromolecules.
Teflon is what creates the non-stick coating on pots and pans, or in this case, the Philips air fryer. It prevents food from being burnt to the cooking utensil, making cleaning up a whole lot easier.
However, this coating has been a cause for concern. Keep reading to find out why.
Can Teflon Get In Your Food?
Teflon is hydrophobic, which is why if you put water on a Teflon coated pan, it beads up and rolls around instead of flattening out or puddling. But can it get on your food?
Teflon is categorized as an unreactive substance, which means that it does not leach into food that you are cooking. So, it should not get in your food that you make in the Philips air fryer.
If it could, this would be bad.
Why Is Teflon Bad?
When tested on animals, the Teflon compound has been found to affect many things.
Now knowing this, you may be wondering if the Philips air fryer is even food safe. Let’s find out below.
Are Philips Air Fryer Food Safe?
You may have concerns about any potential toxicity when cooking food in your Philips air fryer. Many people like to limit their plastic usage, whether to help the environment or for personal health reasons.
However, rest assured that your Philips air fryer is completely food safe. They are PFOA safe as well as BPA free.
What Is BPA and Why Is It Bad?
BPA stands for bisphenol A.
It is a material that is in some plastic and resin products and has been used for decades. It has recently been found to leach into foods and can potentially cause prostate and glandular issues in infants and children.
However, the Philips air fryer is BPA free and so you should not worry about cooking with it.
Plastic Free Air Fryers
If you still aren’t a fan of air fryers that are made with plastic, we have some options for you that have either zero plastic or limited plastic below.
- Breville Smart Oven Air Fryer Pro, $335– While this is one of the more expensive air fryers on the market, it has 13 functions, including air frying, slow roasting and dehydrating. While it is made mostly of aluminum, it does have some plastic on the interior but overall is a great choice.
- Cuisinart Stainless Steel Air Fryer, $100– This air fryer is entirely stainless steel and the basket is even nonstick. It is compact and of great size to fit on your countertop permanently. It’s highly rated and contains no plastic.
- Oster Digital Air Fryer Oven, $100- This air fryer is stainless steel, programmable and has a digital face. It also has 12 settings that include air frying, slow roasting, dehydrating and broiling.
- Gourmia Toaster Oven Air Fryer Combo 7-in-1, $70- This is the cheapest product on this list but is still very high in quality. It actually fits an entire 12 inch pizza or 6 slices of bread for easy cooking and reheating.
This list will give you a good starting point when looking for plastic free air fryers.
Benefits Of The Philips Air Fryer
You may have noticed that plastic free air fryers are much more expensive than ones that contain plastic. If plastic isn’t a concern you have then we would recommend using the Philips Air fryer.
While their XXL and Premium products are on the pricier side, their basic air fryer (which would be ideal for most households) starts at only $50.
The Philips air fryer also regularly performs better than other brands on the market due to the following benefits:
- Circulates the hot air in the cooking component
- Gets food crispy
- Easy they are to use
- Simple to clean
- Nontoxic, BPA free and PFOA free
You can see why it’s one of the most popular air fryers on the market.
We hope this extensive explanation gives you some good information on your air fryer and what it’s made out of.
Air fryers are one of the most efficient ways to cook healthier fried food and are incredibly popular. It’s easy to use, and easy to clean due to its’ (nontoxic) Teflon coating.